Re: Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Jochen Hebbrecht a wrote:

 > I think you mean bridge_hw (with an underscore instead of a dash?). I
 > can't find any information about bridge-hw in the man pages.

bridge-hw and bridge_hw is exactly the same. (No difference between
underscore and dash). Both will set a variable $IF_BRIDGE_HW, to be used
by the scripts in /etc/network/if-*.d/*.

 From interfaces(5) : "Additionally, all options given in an interface
definition stanza are exported to the environment in upper case with
"IF_" prepended and with hyphens converted to underscores and
non-alphanumeric characters discarded."

>> Can you try to use the bridge-hw option of /etc/network/interfaces, to
>> force the bridge MAC address to the MAC address of the wireless
>> interface ? This might solve the communication problem for UBUNTU
>> SERVER... but unfortunately probably not for the bridging function.
>>
> Now the bridge comes up perfectly, and ubuntu server can ping the
> internet. But nobody on the eth0 of ubuntu server can access the network
> :-( ... so no bridging indeed

This is unfortunately what I expected.

Now, you can have a last try with your current bridge configuration, by
upgrading the firmware of your router, ensuring WDS is enabled in the
router, and hope that the driver of your wifi adapter support WDS... By
the way, what is the type of your wifi adapter ?

If that fail, I think we have two options :

- Try to setup a very special bridge configuration, with some sort of
masquerading of the MAC address. This would require at least to use
ebtables to replace the source MAC address in the header (and in the
payload for ARP) of packets sent on the wifi interface, to route packets
in the server, to stop the server from sending ICMP redirect in the wifi
interface and to setup a proxy_dhcp on the server. It would be hard to
setup, hard to debug and impossible to maintain... Probably not a good
idea... Funny to try, but not a good target.

- Setup a simple router configuration on the server, using another
private subnet on location B. Using a simple NAT/Masquerading
configuration (with iptables), it could be possible to hide the subnet
of location B from location A, but still allow access to the printer of
location B from location A and access to location A and to Internet from
location B. If you don't have a really good reason to stick to bridge
(like using a non-IP protocol), I suggest you try this.

	Nicolas.