Re: bridge, vlan and *no* stp/bpdu

Hi Jonathan,

So, you're seeing the ARP reply come in, untagged, but not seeing it
exit the tagged interface? Check to see that the bridge has definitely
learned that MAC on the correct interface.

I am wondering if your are coming up against this issue:

---
(From http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/brnf-faq.html )

How do I let vlan-tagged traffic go through a vlan bridge port and the
other traffic through a non-vlan bridge port?

Suppose eth0 and eth0.15 are ports of br0. Without countermeasures all
traffic, including traffic vlan-tagged with tag 15, entering the
physical device eth0 will go through the bridge port eth0. To make the
15-tagged traffic go through the eth0.15 bridge port, use the following
ebtables rule:
ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -i eth0 --vlan-id 15 -j DROP

With the above rule, 15-tagged traffic will enter the bridge on the
physical device eth0, will then be brouted and enter the bridge port
eth0.15, the vlan header will be stripped, after which the packet is
bridged. The packet thus enters the BROUTING chain twice, the first time
with input device eth0 and the second time with input device eth0.15.
The other chains are only traversed once. All other traffic will be
bridged with input device eth0.
----

Somewhere I have seen a mailing list archive with a far better
explanation, but I just can't seem to find it right now.

Can you run TCPdump on 'in', as well as 'in.2' and see if the packets
are disappearing somewhere between the two?
Alternatively, put an ebtables rule on each interface, with a target of
CONTINUE, and then do a ebtables -L --Lc to see which rules are
matching, so you can get an ide of which interface the bridge is trying
to spit out the replies you are looking for.

Leigh.