[Bridge] Network seperation and ethernet bridge...

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:06:39 +0200
Etienne Pretorius <etiennep at kingsley.co.za> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to have 2 bridge instances
> running - one for the internal network and the other for the external
> network.

Yes, you can have two separate bridge instances in the system.

> What I need to explain is that I need the internal bridge to go though
> the Linux Kernel and pass its packets to the external network bridge.
> I am also hopeful that the internal network bridge will not need an IP
> address as I am hoping to allocate the internal network clients a gateway
> address beyond the external network bridge and so when I have 2 similar
> machines running with both internal and external network bridges
> that when one machine dies completely then the other will take over.
> Sooooo what I need to know is will I require proxy-arp and/or ip_forwarding?
>

> [internal NW] ---> [internal bridge port 1 of  2]----[external bridge
> port 4 of 4] --->[GW router]----> www.google.com

No, you can't bridge a bridge.
This is done to prevent creating loops and causing deep stack nesting.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at osdl.org>
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?