[Bridge] Strange problem, please help

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:06:47 +0200
Jaime Nebrera <jnebrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Hi Ryan,
>
> >          Just my $0.02 worth, no solutions I'm afraid, just an
> > observation.  The behavour you describe is virtually identical to the
> > behavour I had on the first bridge I constructed which was using tulip
> > network cards.  The system would work wonderfully in test, but put it in
> > situ on the network it would last a few minutes, then lock up with the CPU
> > maxed out.  We ended up changing the tulip cards to Intels which worked
> > perfectly.
> >
> >          The weird thing was on their own, the tulip cards worked fine, but
> > couldn't handle a bridge config.  At the time folks suggested that it was a
> > combined interrupt/timing/buffering problem, but I didn't have the skills
> > or time to track it down.  From what you've said about the problem going
> > away when the other network ports are disabled, I wouldn't mind betting its
> > a related issue.  8 Gigabit ports would be a substantial number of
> > interrupts, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're starting to max out the
> > PCI bus, but I don't have any hard numbers to test that theory.
>
>   IMHO I dont agree. We are using chipsets from Marvel, a well
> stablished ones. Also, this might be a problem if the traffic was really
> important, say 200Mbps or even 100Mbps, but this is not the case for
> 0,5Mbps. Even those cheap Realtek 100Mbps ethernets can sustain that
> traffic as a bridge.

If you use the sk98lin driver it wants to do it's own spanning tree type
failover so it multicasts STP packets all the time.

>   The problem is WHY suddenly some traffic appears on ethernet ports
> that are not in use (and why not in two others) and WHY this traffic
> keeps accelerating until it reaches a speed the hardware wont support
> (2400Mbps total) Of course when such traffic is reached the system blows
> away, the point is, why that traffic appears?

You need to somehow figure out what those packets are (ethereal, tcpdump, ...)
and go from there.

>   Regarding this point, we are using the same software solution with a
> much cheaper box (Via 1Ghz, 4x Realtek 100 Ethernets) working as a
> bridge and have been able to mange more than 20Mbps without a problem.
> The difference is they dont have that HSRP set up.

You need to use a driver with NAPI or the interrupt per packet overhead
will swamp the box.