[Bridge] Strange problem, please help

At 09:25 AM 30/05/2005 +0200, Jaime Nebrera wrote:
>   Hi all,

         <snip>

>   So, some questions:
>
>   1) Is this related to running as a bridge? Would this problem
>disappear if we used a pseudo bridge (proxy ARP)?
>
>   2) Can such a beast sustain 8 ethernets as a single bridge? Bear in
>mind they dont have gigabit traffic, they just use gigabit ethernets :)
>Whats the limit for a linux bridge? Would be better to break it into two
>bridges?

         Just my $0.02 worth, no solutions I'm afraid, just an
observation.  The behavour you describe is virtually identical to the
behavour I had on the first bridge I constructed which was using tulip
network cards.  The system would work wonderfully in test, but put it in
situ on the network it would last a few minutes, then lock up with the CPU
maxed out.  We ended up changing the tulip cards to Intels which worked
perfectly.

         The weird thing was on their own, the tulip cards worked fine, but
couldn't handle a bridge config.  At the time folks suggested that it was a
combined interrupt/timing/buffering problem, but I didn't have the skills
or time to track it down.  From what you've said about the problem going
away when the other network ports are disabled, I wouldn't mind betting its
a related issue.  8 Gigabit ports would be a substantial number of
interrupts, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're starting to max out the
PCI bus, but I don't have any hard numbers to test that theory.

         Cheers,
                 Ryan.
--
           Ryan McConigley - Systems Administrator                  _.-,
      Computer Science   University of Western Australia        .--'  '-._