Re: flicker free booting

Tim Bird wrote:
Bill Gatliff wrote:
Those fractions-of-seconds boot times are beyond the reach of the 200
MHz-class ARM9 processors and similar, where it takes two or three
seconds just to load and uncompress the kernel from NOR or NAND flash.
While I don't disagree from a practical standpoint - at Sony
using XIP we have been able to finish kernel boot on a 192 MHZ ARM9
in 186 milliseconds.  In the lab, anyway?

Yea, that's an upside of XIP: no uncompression stage.  :)

I wonder, though, if the bandwidth limitations of NOR flash make the system slower overall? I guess the bootloader could copy an uncompressed image from flash into RAM, and then XIP it from there to get the best of both worlds, if you could stand the time hit of the memcpy...

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx