Re: flicker free booting

David VomLehn wrote:
This is an issue that I think is common to many embedded platforms, but I'm
not sure this is the solution. (I'm not sure it's *not* the solution, either).
The question I've been looking at is: do sub-second boot times make all this
a moot point? After all, if you can bring up your graphics driver in a fraction
of a second and use *it* to display a splash screen, it seems like it would
meet your need to give almost immediate feedback to users that the system is
alive.

Those fractions-of-seconds boot times are beyond the reach of the 200 MHz-class ARM9 processors and similar, where it takes two or three seconds just to load and uncompress the kernel from NOR or NAND flash.

And add a second or so on top of that to zeroinit the graphics framebuffer, if your display is of any decent size and depth.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx