Re: LZMA inclusion

On Sat, 6 December 2008 23:56:50 +0200, Lasse Collin wrote:

> Since you are improving the crypto API, maybe it would be a good idea to
> add a flag to tell the decoder that the whole output buffer will be
> kept available to the multi-call decoder.

I'm not convinced this is the right direction.  One of the constraints
of kernel programming is that large contiguous are hard to come by.  The
mm subsystem makes no guarantees that you will be able to allocate 1MiB
or contiguous memory.  On a 32bit system with highmem, it may even
become hard to get 1MiB from vmalloc.

So another approach would be to ignore the one-shot debate and
concentrate on taking a pagevec instead of a buffer (as in a void *
pointer).  That would certainly be useful for other compressed
filesystems and without checking the code (I forgot where the squashfs
git tree was) I claim it should be useful for squashfs as well.

Jörn

--
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.
-- unknown