Re: LZMA inclusion

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Lasse Collin wrote:
> Once the stable release of the xz package is out, I could be willing to
> write an easy-to-use .xz decoder that is suitable for inclusion to
> Linux (including proper coding style with comments). I have understood,
> that for kernel and initramfs compression as well as for SquashFS, it
> would be enough to support single-call buffer-to-buffer decoding
> (comparable to uncompress() in zlib). Such code can be significantly
> simpler than stateful multi-call implementation.

SquashFS does not do one-shot decompression, it calls the decompressor multiple
times, after reading each block. I guess that can be changed, but it will
increase memory pressure, as blocks cannot be released until the decompression
has finished.

Other compressed file systems that use (de)compression through the crypto API
do use one-shot (de)compression, as the current crypto API doesn't support
partial (de)compression. That includes Ubifs. Note that I'm working on
enhancing the crypto API to relax this limitation.

So please provide a stateful multi-call implementation ;-)

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010