Re: Recommendation for activating a deferred module init in the kernel

Tim Bird wrote:

Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
Well, seeing as both modprobe and a minimal shell are part of busybox
which is included in over 90%+ of Linux based embedded systems and that
the script is trivial, not to mention that you can just have the
application call modprobe directly, just as it will be calling ioctl()
in your case, thereby negating the need for both script and shell at
all, I do believe that complexity wise my solution still has some merit.

I agree.  When you say "have the application call modprobe directly",
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Are you talking about a call
to the kernel (a syscall) or a library function?  The kernel has the
syscall sys_init_module(), which I'm considering using.  Is there some
mobprobe library call that might make sense to use?

I simply meant that you can fork and exec modprobe itself (or use system() but that would require a working shell). This would "save" the need for a separate script and a shell.

I guess "invoking" would have been more suitable word then "calling".

The only downside I see of calling the sys_init_module syscall directly is that it
doesn't do any of the dependency tracking that modprobe does, so it's more
a insmod replacement then a modprobe one, but I doubt this matters at all in an
embedded system anyway.

Do people here think a shared library implementing modprobe would be useful?

I ran into such a need a couple of times myself and does not look difficult to do, but does
anyone else here thinks it will be useful?

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef Chief Coffee Drinker

Codefidence Ltd.
The code is free, your time isn't.(TM)

Web:    http://codefidence.com
Email:  gilad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office: +972-8-9316883 ext. 201
Fax:    +972-8-9316885
Mobile: +972-52-8260388

	Q: How many NSA agents does it take to replace a lightbulb?
	A: dSva7DrYiY24yeTItKyyogFXD5gRuoRqPNQ9v6WCLLywZPINlu!