Re: EFI mixed mode fix for v4.18

(adding Hans, Kirill and Ingo)

Exec summary: youling is seeing issues on his Bay Trail tablet booting
the 64-bit kernel from 32-bit EFI (aka mixed mode)

He has narrowed it down to the patch below. Unfortunately, I cannot
reproduce this on QEMU/kvm running in mixed mode, and Hans has not
reported anything similar either.

I am reasonably familiar now with the way the thunking between 64-bit
and 32-bit is implemented, but I am clueless about how x86 configures
the page tables etc so we need some help from team-x86 figuring this
out.

Thanks,
Ard.

On 16 July 2018 at 22:13, youling 257 <youling257@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Final,i found the problem patch is
> 32fcefa2bfc8961987e91d1daeb00624b4176d2e,x86/boot/compressed/64: Set up
> trampoline memory

Youling,

Thanks a lot for narrowing that down!

We will try to investigate in more detail.