Re: EFI stub boots only with setup_efi_pc() commented

2013/9/5 Matt Fleming <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 03 Aug, at 12:06:23AM, Clea F. Rees wrote:
>> Matt Fleming asked me to email describing a problem I am experiencing
>> with the EFI stub loader. Matt has been trying to diagnose the cause
>> of consistent failures of the stub loader in recent kernels on my
>> machine.
>>
>> Background: All kernels I tried in 3.7.* booted fine using the stub
>> loader (via rEFInd). No kernels tried from 3.8.* through 3.9.* and now
>> into 3.10.* boot using the stub loader. None of the workarounds which
>> others have used work for me. The problem is reproducible using a
>> direct NVRAM entry rather than rEFInd. All kernels boot fine with
>> GRUB.
>>
>> The problem is reproducible with a kernel compiled from git. A series
>> of experiments (following Matt's instructions) have determined that
>> commenting out the call to setup_efi_pc() in eboot.c makes the kernels
>> boot.
>>
>> I would be happy to provide any further information which might be
>> helpful or to run further tests.
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying to this.
>
> Does your machine hang during setup_efi_pci() or later on in boot?

I'm not certain. How would I tell this? I think the answer is probably
during because the tests Matt had me do involved inserting reboot
instructions into the code and testing where the hang occurred. But
I'm not sure whether that showed absolutely that the hang occurs
actually during setup_efi_pci().