Re: EFI runtime and kexec

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 23:30 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 00:07 +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > Hmm, yeah, that's nasty. This also means option #2 can go too because
> > of the fixed addresses. Option #1 is also kinda polluting user address
> > space
>
> User address space is there to be polluted. Create a "kernel thread" for
> invoking EFI, except that this kernel thread actually has userspace page
> tables. Set up those page tables however the hell you like, and then
> just make sure you always invoke EFI runtime services from that thread.

Oh, I meant to mention: Matthew once told me about a bizarre issue on
MacBook firmware, iirc. Some stuff doesn't work if the virtual address
is above 2GiB. Or below 2GiB. I don't really remember what Matthew told
me at all, to be honest. Only that Here Be Dragons and we don't quite
have free rein about where we place stuff. But I suspect we ought to be
able to find *somewhere* in the user address space that works, even for
32-bit kernels.

--
dwmw2

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]