Re: getting started with msi tv card

> The idea behind this is that Antti has suggested that your
> tuner may not work well with strong signals, so we are
> wanting to get a somewhat weaker signal.  It could be,

Ah, right, I'll give that ago, thanks.

> though, that you will not get enough of a signal.  This
> all will depend on the distance you are from the transmitter
> site, the power it sends, and what sort of terrain exists
> between you and the sender.
>
> One thing has popped into my mind -- there are different
> standards for coaxial connectors used in different parts
> of the world for the same function, so I may have a totally
> different idea of what you have...
>
> Anyway, you are connected to your wall by a cable that
> connects to your device.  Perhaps that cable is connected
> to some sort of push-on or screw-on connector, or maybe
> it is firmly attached to the wall without a connector.

There is a connector on the wall, and I guess an aerial on the roof.

> The part of the connector of interest will be the centre
> conductor.  Through europe, this exists on TV-type tuners
> as an outer ring, somewhat over 1cm diametre, and a smaller
> ring inside with a couple millimetre diametre.  I can actually
> take a length of bell wire or thin electrical wire, fold about
> 1cm of it over on itself, and stick this into that centre
> conductor to make a simple antenna that receives strong
> signals.

Ah, ok. I think I get it now... Makes sense.
> technically-minded friend who can help you with this, it
> may be easiest.

Yep, I'll see if I can get some help.
> Anyway, good luck; it could be that with this you are

Thanks.

> unable to receive any signal whatsoever, in which case all
> the time I spent writing this will have been for nought,

Oh... I'm sorry... I'll give it ago anyway and see what happens, and if
it doesn't work, I'll look online for alternative tuners.

Thanks very much,

Daniel.