Re: getting started with msi tv card

Hi Antti,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:46:32AM +0200, Antti Palosaari wrote:
> Yes, should work out of the box. No need to install any driver, driver
> is included in your Kernel.

/dev/dvb/adapter0/ is created. so does this mean the right modules have
been loaded?

> >> However, tuner performance is not very good. With weak signal it works
> >> better than strong. All remote keys are not working because driver does
> >> not upload IR-table to the chip.
> >
> > ok
>
> I have newer one, gl861 5581, and this is the version which have remote
> problem. I think older Megasky have all remote buttons functional.

Ah good

> > Mplayer works with this card? Great!
> >
> > How would I begin configuring it for mplayer then?
>
> I think mplayer is not very user friendly, try Kaffeine or Me-TV
> instead. Kaffeine have own channel scanner so it is very easy to
> configure. Otherwise you will need initial tuning file and then scan to
> get channels.conf. Try google for more info.

I've been googling, and have played with w_scan and me-tv.
Kaffeine unfortunately is qt and won't work with braille/speech, but
me-tv does. So I got sighted help to scan for channels in kaffeine, the
scan didn't find any channels.
Next, I ran the w_scan program, and that as well failed to find any
channels. Finally, I ran me-tv and that as well failed. (I selected my
location for me-tv).

So, how do I get w_scan or me-tv to find some channels? It's probably
not worth talking about kaffeine as I won't be able to use this. I'm
plugging my usb receiver into a tv connection in my home which a
standard tv would plug into.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much for your help,

Daniel.