Re: v4l-dvb gspca modules conflict with standalone gspca module

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Sunday 2008-10-19 22:25:29 +0200, Román wrote:
>> 2008/10/19 Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala@xxxxxxxx>:
>>> BTW I wonder why v4l-dvb includes the gspca modules, which seem to be
>>> related more to the gspca cameras than to DVB devices
> [...]
>> I wonder as well. The standalone driver works with my webcam, but the
>> v4l-dvb one provokes a kernel panic on my system, after a short period
>> of using it (or it used to; admittedly it's been quite a while -a few
>> months- since I last tried).
>
> For the archive: gspca based cameras finally stopped to work with the
> v4l-dvb modules on linux-2.6.26, reinstalling the kernel and the
> standalone module fixed it.
>
> Please could the core devs clarify the situation for what regards
> gscpa modules in v4l-dvb?
>
> Thanks, regards.

Hello Stefano

The gspca module V1 was developed outside of the kernel tree. Therefor,
it was possible to add "in kernel" video decompression/decoding, which
is not allowed and not good to do in kernel space. But this was a great
success to add more than 220 webcams to the Linux World.

Now, gspca V1 is moving to gspca V2 to support V4L2. Jean-Francois Moine
(moinejf@xxxxxxx) did a rewrite to support V4L2 with gspca. Thus, its
called gspca V2. He removed all the not allowed decoding process which
was done in kernel space with the old gspca.

Now, gspca V2 got included into the kernel! (Big step forward)

Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede@xxxxxx) is writing a user space lib to
convert/decode all the stuff which was done in the old gspca in kernel
space, his lib does it now in user space. That's the way to go!

The development of this is rather new and I think it is not included in
any distro at the moment. But it will be soon.

So, please drop the the old gspca V1 and help testing gspca V2!

BTW: gspca is in v4l-dvb because v4l is for analogue deceives and dvb is
for digital devices. gspca fits perfect into v4l!

Thomas

PS: Pixart, but now free time to do more, sorry.