Re: Duel Hauppauge HVR-1600

Tom,

Just a note: please don't top post.  Per list convention, please just
respond in-line.

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 20:54 -0500, Tom Moore wrote:
> Thanks Andy for the reply.
>
> I did what you said and now I'm getting an memory error message when booting
>

> The message reads:
> Initrd extends beyond end of memory (0x37fef23a > 0x30000000)

Well, that's a new one on me.

> I tried lowering the amount but anything over 128M and I get the error
> message.

So since vmalloc addresses are used for dynamic kernel mappings for
things like loadable module code and for IO mappings, 128 MB of
addresses will never be sufficient to support two cards that want 64 MB
of addresses each, along with other kernel vmalloc needs.

So until this problem is resolved, you won't get the second card
running.  The good news is, the problem appears to be fixable with the
proper kernel configuration.

The driver did make some suggestions in it's original error message:

> > cx18-1: ioremap failed, perhaps increasing __VMALLOC_RESERVE in page.h
> >
> > cx18-1: or disabling CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G into the kernel would help
> >
> > cx18-1: Error -12 on initialization

both of which you could try.  They involve building a custom kernel.

There may be other ways, but I'm no expert in Linux memory management.
I suspect someone over on the LKML is.

To help solve your problem, people will likely need to see the output of
'cat /proc/meminfo' and 'dmesg' for your system.  If I had that info, I
could try to help, I'm not sure I'd be able to help effectively.

Regards,
Andy