Re: [vdr] [v4l-dvb-maintainer] [Wanted] dvb-ttpci maintainer

Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hi,
> On Do, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:04:13 +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Halim Sahin wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Please read this:
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-January/015329.html
>>> You wrote the merge window is open for 2.6.25.
>>> We have now stable 2.6.26 and 2.6.27 is allmost ready.
>> As i wrote, fixes came in and had to be fixed. You can see the commit
>> history here:
>>
>> http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto/shortlog
>
> Right
>
>> In between, i went for vacation due to my marriage. During that period i
>> had little access, but did whatever possible to get feedback/patches in
>> there, during whatever time and access i had.
>
> During your vacation somebody else could ad patches if you
> wanted to work with other developers.

If you see the logs, the last fix changeset 9039 was added while i was
away. Anyone can add patches to the tree, just that i need to pull back
the changes from that person.

For example: while i was away, somebody else did a clone of the same
tree and added the patches.

> This could only happen if you have your code under linuxtv.org and or
> merged it completely to v4l-dvb!

There are 2 development models, a centralized style (CVS/SVN etc) and a
distributed style (mercurial/git etc). The centralized model, offers a
CVS tree or a SVN tree to which multiple people have commit access to.

This was how the old DVB and dvb-kernel CVS trees worked. But this
centralized development model was phased out quite long back, in favour
of a distributed model.

The distributed development model works the same from any place. Person
A makes the changes to his local tree and those changes can be pulled in
to the working repository.

> You are the maintainer of multiproto and
> So nobody could work on it in your absence time!

As i pointed out just above, somebody else did a clone of the tree and
added in some changes that people sent to the ML. I can pull in those
changes as what is applicable from that tree. This is how distributed
development works.

> Sorry this sounds not ok to me.

I don't have any problem in using whatever SCM, but it makes it a little
bit easier for the user to have some similarities between development
trees. Maybe if more people are for a centralized repository, then
people should voice concern as to change the SCM. This has nothing to do
with me.

> Anyway the problem is nobody should leave linuxtv.org project.
> We should now stop this and go on.
> Please !!!!!!!!!
> Thanks for your great work!

Regards,