Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Janne Grunau <janne-dvb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008 12:45:51 Markus Rechberger wrote:
>> what's the matter of merging both? please let us discuss that, the
>> APIs shouldn't have a big impact on each other.
>> Does it break someone's neck to have both?
>
> They will stick both forever in the kernel and either applications or
> drivers have to support both. Realistically both drivers and
> applications will support both.
>
> This is a stupid compromise which doesn't solve anything. A decision was
> made we should live with it.

Janne, as from my side we already delivered vendor specific drivers
with vendor specific interfaces
to a couple of customers and also patched the enduser applications for
it since the API didn't provide the necessary
features.
I don't see that there's a restriction on a single API for it, BSD
guys simply put a compatibility layer infront of their API
in order to support linux applications while having the full flexibility.
Although it's your opinion and I respect it.

Markus