Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>
>> A discussion between people who were already decided what to state
>> beforehand, i must say.
>
> Not true at all.
>
> Only 3 persons were Americans. Yet, 2 of them living at the oposite coast
> of US. So, even for they, a long trip (5 hours of time fuse).
>
> All the others there came from other continents: Europe, South America,
> Asia. On most cases, people took 2 days to arrive there, and 2 other days
> to return back home, for a 2,5 day meeting.
>
> Some of them even payed the expenses from their own pockets.
>
> We all suffered a lot from Jet Leg effects, geting 5 or more hours of
> difference at the time fuse.
>
> We all now have a big list of pending work that accumulated due to the 1
> week spent with the trips.
>
> People woudln't do at all such big efforts just to say: "me too", or to do
> some sort of political arrangement. If there was a previous decision, it
> would be a way easy to announce it via email.

this is not relevant sorry. I represent EETI who also works on
multiple standards and USB solutions for it
I haven't seen a single move from you in order to get our project
included rather than that you copied
code and tried to move people against it. Even though it has been
stated out that it will be pushed from
our side. Still 90% of our code is still not merged for various
reasons (which basically has nothing to do with you).
And also the contributing community is bigger than what you tried to
achieve in the back of us.

Linus made a good point, as far as I'd say let people contribute and
don't force them to run your game. This already
led to that stupid userspace interface which I've done in the past
(sure I acknowlidged that it's bad and shouldn't be
in the kernel and I won't do that again).

The other thread "[RFC] Let the future decide between the two" points
out merging both APIs which would
lead to immediate support of more than 25 new devices. If there would
be a vote for that I'd go for that.

I'm a rather direct person if it comes to that we don't need another
monopoly here. The multiproto API has exist since years
now and userspace applications also support it numerous howtos are
available on the web how to use it already.

http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-September/029236.html

to make it short I seriously vote for both.

best regards,
Markus