Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Markus Rechberger
<mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:41 PM, VDR User <user.vdr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> The decision were already taken by the group.
>>>
>>> It should be noticed also that the public announcement took some time to
>>> be ready, since we all carefully reviewed it to reflect the understanding
>>> that the group had.
>>>
>>> Both API's work, and people needed to choose between one of the proposals.
>>>
>>> Each one there had enough time to read and understand each proposal, since
>>> the patches were available more than one week before the meeting, and
>>> everybody were aware that the decision are scheduled to happen during LPC.
>>>
>>> Each one voted based on their own technical analysis, on a meeting that
>>> took about 2:30 hours, on the day after the presentations. People had
>>> enough time there to discuss, explain their ideas with the help of a
>>> whiteboard, decide and improve the proposal.
>>>
>>> S2API was choosen, since it was considered the better proposal for
>>> everybody there. None of the presents voted for Multiproto.
>>>
>>> Now that the decision were already taken, it is not time anymore to argue
>>> in favor to any other proposals. We need to move ahead and finally add
>>> support for DVB-S2 and the remaining missing digital TV's at kernel.
>>>
>>> Thank you and everyone else involved on adding support for the missing
>>> standards.
>>>
>>> Let's move to the next step: finally add API changes and drivers for
>>> DVB-S2 and prepare support for the remaining missing standards.
>>
>> It's no secret to anyone that there has been foul play, and blatantly
>> clear there is bias against Manu himself, and multiproto as a result,
>> based on personal differences & past conflicts.  You can't possibly
>> expect the dvb community to believe a fair & balanced meeting took
>> place to discuss these proposals when half the people there already
>> signed on for s2api, and the other half don't have the knowledge &
>> experience with dvb to make well-informed decisions.  You can't
>> possibly think people will believe any of you (who've openly admitted
>> support for s2api) spent 2 seconds defending multiproto, or even
>> assessing the proposal from an unbias technical standpoint.
>>
>> It's very convenient that you've completely ignored multiple requests
>> for more in-depth details that actually prove your points have real
>> technical merit and aren't just the result of some self-interest
>> politics and b.s.  Yet, you had no problem writing paragraphs about
>> how the decision has been made and everyone should just accept it.
>> Sorry, people aren't going to just accept it because this whole thing
>> has been tainted by misleading people, misrepresenting the truth, and
>> sometimes flat out lying.
>>
>> Valuable members of the community have turned, and are turning away
>> because of how poorly dvb has been maintained, and how self-serving
>> some people act.  I'm thankful that more people are being exposed &
> [...]

Markus,

After over two years, a decision has been made.  Up until now, many
people have been unhappy.  Now less people can be unhappy.  An
extension to the api has been merged, and now we can move forward.

There have been enough debates on the mailing lists to date, and there
is enough information available about each proposal and all of the
details surrounding them.  We need not hash this out again here.

Nobody wants to debate this any more -- a better use of our time is to
start working on userspace applications for the new supported
standards.  Please redirect your energy towards something creative.

Make love, not war.

Regards,

Mike Krufky