Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 17:10:19 Christophe Thommeret wrote:
> Le Wednesday 10 September 2008 15:38:23 Steven Toth, vous avez écrit :
> > > Is this card able to deliver both S and T at the same time?
> >
> > No, the hardware can do S/S2 or T.
> >
> > The driver in the S2API tree only has S/S2 enabled (for the time
> > being).
>
> So, maybe we have to think a bit about how to add support for this
> kind of device.
>
> Maybe a solution could be to have :
> - adapter0/frontend0 -> S/S2 tuner
> - adapter0/frontend1 -> T tuner
>
> So applications could know that these 2 frontends are exclusive.
> That would not require any API change, but would have to be a rule
> followed by all drivers.

The experimental HVR4000 does this already and we have at least initial
support for that in mythtv.

I don't think this was the intended use of multiple frontends in the DVB
API but AFAIK all dual tuners drivers uses multiple adapters.

I like this approach.

Janne