Re: Multiproto API/Driver Update

Hello,
I've read this thread and also the thread "Future of Multiproto" fromfall 2007 and I fealt I should say a few words about this..
I am not an expert in driver coding or APIs, so I can't say much aboutwho's technical approach is the most elegant or best in any way. I justhope you could agree on some solution that would allow Mantis work to bemerged into v4l main so that the number of supported devices in v4lwould grow. For me, one of the beauties of FOSS is that once somebodyhas coded a piece of good code, like a working driver, everybody in theworld can benefit of it almost immediately and without artificialrestrictions.
>From my point of view the state of v4l is far from optimal: I boughtmyself a Terratec Cynergy C HD DVB -card (not a very new model). To getit working I first tried the most recent v4l drivers, which I compiledfrom source, but it didn't work. After some work I finally got itworking by using Mantis' version of v4l with a patch by Pauli Borodulinand a IR remote code table made by myself. Now it works perfectly aslong as my distro releases a kernel update - after those I need torecompile the driver manually.
This isn't very user friendly or technically elegant. Having to do thismych work is OK while the driver is under development, but after about 6months or so this hardware should work out-of-the-box.
Having all of our combined work in the main v4l, which is delivered byLinux distros to users, would make everything work out-of-the-box foreverybody doing the same a few months after us - that would be nice andI think that should be the ultimate goal, right?
Thanks to you all for you efforts! Hopefully all Linux drivers could goupstream and ultimately benefit everybody in the future..

-- | Otto Kekäläinen| http://www.sange.fi/