Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Le Wednesday 10 September 2008 15:38:23 Steven Toth, vous avez écrit :
> > Is this card able to deliver both S and T at the same time?
>
> No, the hardware can do S/S2 or T.

> The driver in the S2API tree only has S/S2 enabled (for the time being).

So, maybe we have to think a bit about how to add support for this kind of
device.
I mean, if the driver provides different adapters/frontends (say
adapter0/frontend0 and adapter1/frontend0), a typical application will see
these as separate devices, and then when a user watch a S channel, the app
assumes that the T frontend is free while in fact it's not.
For example, Kaffeine updates its channels list according to which channels
can be viewed (based on which frontends are free). So, if you are recording a
S channel, all channels on this freq are shown as available and all T
channels are also shown as available. But in the HVR4000 case, it's false,
since the T tuner isn't free.

Maybe a solution could be to have :
- adapter0/frontend0 -> S/S2 tuner
- adapter0/frontend1 -> T tuner

So applications could know that these 2 frontends are exclusive.
That would not require any API change, but would have to be a rule followed by
all drivers.

--
Christophe Thommeret