Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.

All of us are waiting for a long time for support for the new DTV standards.

The idea is not to postpone it, but to be sure that the API changes will be
flexible enough. Once an API change goes to kernel, It may take a large amount
of time for it to be removed. So extra care is taken on patches adding a
new kernel to userspace API.

I dunno if you are aware of how kernel development cycles are.

There is a short period of 2 weeks for merging API changes and driver
improvements. This starts when a new kernel is released. After that 2 weeks
period, a bug fix period starts. We are currently under bug fix period for
kernel 2.6.27, at release candidate 5 (-rc5).

So, the minimum Kernel release that we may expect to add support for other
protocols is 2.6.28.

In general, a kernel bug fix cycle goes up to -rc8 or -rc9, being one rc
release by week. So, 2.6.27 kernel is likely to be released sometime after the
end of Plumbers conf.

So, there's no gain of merging the API changes and the corresponding DVB-S2
drivers now.

Since several active Linuxtv maintainers will be at the conf for the Video
Input Infrastructure Miniconf, this will give us a perfect opportunity for
working together, carefully examining the technical details of both proposals,
and finish whatever is needed for the addition of API changes as soon as
possible and submit feedbacks to the ML.

So, it is very likely that we'll add support for those protocols for 2.6.28
inclusion.

Thanks,
Mauro.