Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Igor M. Liplianin wrote:> В сообщении от 29 August 2008 21:29:30 Steven Toth написал(а):>> Regarding the multiproto situation:>>>> A number of developers, maintainers and users are unhappy with the>> multiproto situation, actually they've been unhappy for a considerable>> amount of time. The linuxtv developer community (to some degree) is seen>> as a joke and a bunch in-fighting people. Multiproto is a great>> demonstration of this. [1] The multiproto project has gone too far, for>> too long and no longer has any credibility in the eyes of many people.>>>> In response, a number developers have agreed that "enough is enough" and>> "it's time to take a new direction", for these developers the technical,>> political and personal cost of multiproto is too high. These developers>> have decided to make an announcement.>>>> Mauro Chehab, Michael Krufky, Patrick Boettcher and myself are hereby>> announcing that we no longer support multiproto and are forming a>> smaller dedicated project group which is focusing on adding next>> generation S2/ISDB-T/DVB-H/DVB-T2/DVB-SH support to the kernel through a>> different and simpler API.>>>> Basic patches and demo code for this API is currently available here.>>>> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/s2>>>> Does it even work? Yes>> Is this new API complete? No>> Is it perfect? No, we've already had feedback on structural and>> namingspace changes that people would like to see.>> Does it have bugs? Of course, we have a list of things we already know>> we want to fix.>>>> but ...>>>> Is the new approach flexible? Yes, we're moving away from passing fixed>> modulation structures into the kernel.>> Can we add to it without breaking the future ABI when unforseen>> modulations types occur? Yes>> Does it preserve backwards compatibility? Yes>> Importantly, is the overall direction correct? Yes>> Does it impact existing frontend drivers? No.>> What's the impact to dvb-core? Small.>> What's the impact to application developers? None, unless an application>> developer wants to support the new standards - binary compatibility!>>>> We want feedback and we want progress, we aim to achieve it.>>>> Importantly, this project group seeks your support.>>>> If you also feel frustrated by the multiproto situation and agree in>> principle with this new approach, and the overall direction of the API>> changes, then we welcome you and ask you to help us.>>>> Growing the list of supporting names by 100%, and allowing us to publish>> your name on the public mailing list, would show the non-maintainer>> development community that we recognize the problem and we're taking>> steps to correct the problem. We want to make LinuxTV a perfect platform>> for S2, ISDB-T and other advanced modulation types, without using the>> multiproto patches.>>>> We're not asking you for technical help, although we'd like that  :) ,>> we're just asking for your encouragement to move away from multiproto.>>>> If you feel that you want to support our movement then please help us by>> acking this email.>>>> Regards - Steve, Mike, Patrick and Mauro.>>>> Acked-by: Patrick Boettcher <pb@xxxxxxxxxxx>>> Acked-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx>>> Acked-by: Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>>> Acked-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>>>> * [1]. Rather than point out the issues with multiproto here, take a>> look at the patches and/or read the comments on the mailing lists.>>>> _______________________________________________>> linux-dvb mailing list>> linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx>> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linux-dvb> > I am not much a letter writer.> So one way or another, DVB-S2 needs to be included.> Who makes first technical step? I mean working S2 driver in v4l-dvb tree.> I truly want to see that!> > I see the problem like that - I have a card, I want it to work under Linux,> I don't see any reasons to wait for someone to make a driver (it is lasting > for years, you know), I make it myself. Any political reasons?
Is this the HVR4000 driver that I wrote in 2006 (still not in the kernel)? I feel your pain.
Thanks for your feedback Igor.
Regards,
Steve