Re: Potential Linux support for new TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD ?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM, barry bouwsma
<free_beer_for_all@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Moin!
>
> I'm sure it's far too early, but I thought I'd ask just in case
> someone might know more than I do...
>
> Sometime Real Soon Now or Right About Now there should be available
> a new USB device from TerraTec, capable of supporting DVB-C and DVB-T,
> as well as analog radio/TV, and with a USB2 connection (vital for
> successful DVB-C viewing, not critical for SDTV over DVB-T).
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't found detailed hardware info, and what I have
> found refers to ``USB 2.0 compatible'', which sounds to me that it
> might really be a USB 1 device with inadequate bandwidth for HDTV
> or high quality SDTV, like the Cinergy Piranha...

it is a full USB 2.0 compatible device, possibly with PID filtering to
support USB 1.1

> Can anyone say if this device could potentially be supported in the
> future, either by vendor-supplied drivers, or by containing supported/
> supportable chipsets within?  I suspect it may be some weeks before
> anyone can.
>

> There's some Vista/XP 32/64-bit drivers available from TerraTec
> recently for download.  Perhaps there will be come useful info
> within directory
> Cinergy HTC USB XS HD/BDA Driver 5.8.430.0/
> such as
> ; Cinergy HTC USB XS (EM2883 DVB-T & DVB-C & analog TV/FM & audio)
> %Cinergy.DeviceDesc% = Cinergy.NTx86,USB\VID_0CCD&PID_008E
> or
> ;;;HKR,settings\OEMSettings,TunerID7        ,0x00010001,21     ;CFG7 = SAM9082
>

> I don't have the device; my inquiries about availability have not
> yet turned up positive so I'm not able to think about ordering one,
> but if someone has more info or better contacts, and could say
> something definitive (like, maybe, or no way) then I'd love to hear
> it.  Searches have turned up heaps of press releases but no obvious
> technical info.  Of course, it's way early.
>

> If I understand correctly, there are no simple DVB-C devices out there
> that have a true USB2 interface, which are supported under Linux,
> other than a few significantly more expensive devices, most with
> CAM/CI support, which doesn't interest me, so this has caught my
> attention.  Also being a hybrid, though conveniently switching
> between DVB-T and DVB-C is certainly not practical with one RF input

It's an Empia based design with the latest available Hardware components.
There have been discussions about those devices and as far as I can
write support is planned for it.

Markus