Re: TT S-1401 problem with kernel 2.6.24 ???

Am Mittwoch, den 09.04.2008, 10:17 +0400 schrieb Andrew Junev:
> > Hi Andrew,
>
> > Am Dienstag, den 08.04.2008, 19:34 +0400 schrieb Andrew Junev:

> >> Not always. :) I do it just sometimes, when I feel my message doesn't
> >> contain useful information for everybody on the list.
> >> But we can move back to the lists, if you think it's more appropriate.

> >> Well, I believe I can do it, if noone else does. It shouldn't be that
> >> hard.

> >> I wonder how the unpatched driver made its way to 2.6.24 stable...
> >> Or maybe it's just me who gets affected by this problem that much.

> >> If I ever need to move to 2.6.24 and it gets no patch included by
> >> then, I'll surely do so! :)
> >> At the moment I'm perfectly fine with 2.6.23...
> >>

> > however it will go out for now, seems in the end you will have something
> > to test ;)
>

> I have no problems with that! :)
>
> Ok, can you point me to a guide on how to do this? Otherwise I'm
> affraid I'll waste lots of time just by trying something that I should
> not...
>
> I'm ready to test it sometime this week.

Hi Andrew,

Mike has forwarded the patch to the stable kernel team. (Thanks!)

Likely it will be fixed in 2.6.24.5 then.

To build a vanilla kernel is still a very easy task, but there are
distribution specific helper scripts and customs.

The real problem, that could appear, is that dependencies on other
utilities are not resolved on your current distribution version anymore
and you run into some circular dependencies, not easy to resolve and
then you must know what you are doing exactly or upgrade.

If a 2.6.24 is available for your current stuff, just install it and see
the missing. If you then install the kernel source for it, we can apply
the patch also there and build a new kernel.

Cheers,
Hermann