Re: Analog card with Hardware MPEG2 Enc

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.04.2008, 11:29 -0400 schrieb John Drescher:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Frederic CAND <frederic.cand@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I'm looking for a good PCI card, supporting Analog input (Composite,
> >  S-Video, Pal/Secam Tuner) and providing MPEG2/TS.
> >
> >  We were using KNC1 TVStation DVR cards until now (w/ saa6752hs chip) on
> >  the servers we build but we have to change (card status is "end of
> >  life") and are looking for similar cards.
> >
> >  Does anybody have a hint if such a card exist or not ?
> >
> >  Hardware MPEG2 encoding (TS encapsulation) is an important matter for
> >  us, to avoid having Software MPEG2 encoding.
> >
> Hauppage PVR150
>
> John

Frederic, I remember you have contributed to saa7134 empress development
previously.

Currently, after lots of code changes without any testers, empress
devices have been always very rare, the support is broken and I try to
track down last working status.

Did some testing with an unsupported card recently, has also DVB-T, and
I get everything to work except the encoder.

What kernel version does still work for you?

There is also the Behold M6 Extra now.
http://www.ixbt.com/monitor/behold-m6-extra.shtml

But this one fails, reported by Anton, even on 2.6.18, which seems to me
the last kernel most likely still functional.

I have tried on a Creatix CTX946. (saa7134 card=12 works,except encoder)
http://www.creatix.de/produkte/multimedia/ctx946.htm

But I don't get a valid format setup, which very likely is caused by the
card is not hacked/correctly_configured yet.

Beside ivtv, the cx88 driver has also lots of cards with mpeg encoder,
so called blackbird design, but from what I hear the pvr150 and similar
are for sure well supported.

Thanks,
Hermann