NSLU2 dma_free_coherent issue with DIB0700 driver (and probably others)

Hi,

Apologies if this is directed in the wrong place, as I suspect this is more of a kernel/USB issue than a DVB driver issue, but it does have an impact on people wanting to use this device with an NSLU2 (and I suspect it will also be a problem with many other devices.)

I have been experimenting using a variety of DVB-T USB devices with an NSLU2 with my ultimate aim being to build in a dual DVB-T device into the case and use it in very much the same way as the HDHomeRun device.

Using a DTT200U based device everything worked perfectly.

Then I started playing with a DIB0700 based device (actually an Elgato Eye-TV Diversity) and the system would just hang whenever I started using dvbstream, I got slightly different behaviour if I tried to tune it to an invalid frequency and eventually managed to get to a state when I could interrupt it before it completely locked up.

It seems that the driver was flagging an issue in the ARM architecture around not calling dma_free_coherent() with IRQ's disabled, apparently a warning was recently added to the ARM kernel so it logs a message and a stack trace each time ... this seemed to be happening so frequently it effectively locked the system up.

I did a little digging, but I'm not a kernel expert at all, and it seems that the ehci_hcd module is actually where the call is originating rather than the DVB driver itself, so I suspect that this will actually effect a significant number of the drivers when used on an ARM platform.

For the purposes of testing I removed the warning (from arch/arm/mm/consistent line 363) and everything is fine, the driver operates perfectly and I can stream video nicely. BUT - clearly there is some kind of issue here that needs to be resolved.

More information is available at the link below, and also I have read comments suggesting that the issue has been discussed on the arm-kernel mailing list but that no resolution has yet been found.

For reference I'm using 2.6.24 and have tried the most recent drivers from linuxtv.org as well as a variety of others -- all seem to have the same problem (which is expected if the problem is actually in the USB system.)

Hope this is useful,

Lee.