Re: Lifeview DVB-T from v4l-dvb and Pinnacle Hybrid USb from v4l-dvb-kernel......help

On 4/1/08, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > > version.
> > >
> > > 1. Will the number of em28xx cards supported by v4l-dvb be increased
> > > shortly? (My card id was 94 IIRC ).
> >
> > If it's supported by v4l-dvb-kernel, it's entirely possible, yes.
> >
> > > 2. Can I mix and match from the sources...i.e. can I graft the em28xx
> > > stuff from v4l-dvb-kernel into the v4l-dvb source and compile
> > > successfully or has the underlying code changed at a more strategic
> > > level?
> >
> > Not trivially, since v4l-dvb-kernel contains changes to the core code
> > that the em28xx driver relies on and that are incompatible with
> > changes in the main v4l-dvb repository since. You can try
> > http://www.makomk.com/hg/v4l-dvb-makomk - it's the em28xx and xc3028
> > drivers grafted onto a version of v4l-dvb that's about 5 months old at
> > this point - though it's really not a great starting point for porting
> > them onto newer versions, since you'd want to drop the xc3028 driver
> > in favour of the newer one
> >

> Makomk,
> spreading around your even more broken tree won't help anyone.
>
> This device already had some issues with the v4l-dvb-kernel tree, this
> is what I'll do in April.
>
> > > 3. Why did the sources branch? Was there a good technical reason for
> > this?
> >
> > Supporting the xc3028 silicon tuner needed some changes to support
> > hybrid analog/digital tuners better. Unfortunately, Markus couldn't
> > come to an agreement with the rest of the developers on how to do it.
> > (I think the main concern were that the changes he were proposing were
> > rather more invasive than they needed to be and risked breaking
> > existing drivers). In the end, someone else coded the equivalent
> > functionality in a more backwards-compatible way and merged it in
> > stages.
> >
> > (It's actually relatively easy to port code from Markus' hybrid tuner
> > framework to the v4l-dvb one, though he will never admit so.)
> >

> The reason is my trust is gone I asked in September if it's possible
> to get those devices work with what's available and I got the answer
> it's not.
> This stupid fight lasts for more than 2 years already, but I'm the one
> who spent weeks on writing code for getting those things supported and
> even rewrote code although there was no serious participation in the
> discussions I tried to trigger...
>
> If I tell a company that I will add support for something till a given
> date I'll do so to keep up the good contacts. Unfortunately this is
> not how some people at linuxtv behave and it slows down everything
> even for other manufacturers where I'm not involved.
>
> It's me who mostly spent his time on writing any code on mcentral.de,
> the code didn't write itself especially Aidan has no respect about
> that, neither do some other people. Maybe it's really better to
> provide binary only blobs to remember especially such people that it
> requires alot work to get those things work.

there is still one thing which I remember when I attended the European
Linux Kernel summit 2007.
Jonathan Corbet held a presentation about kernel development, and
there was one sentence "we mustn't loose another developer".
This whole issue could be solved within 1 hour, and the fight of 2
years could be over immediately nearly without any work.
There's not much more to write about this.