Re: Implementing support for multi-channel

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Ben Backx wrote:

> The hardware can handle it (up to a certain number of PID-filters).
For Skystar3 it is 255.

> The main
> difference: cpu-load. When the hardware handles the filtering, the cpu can
> be busy with other stuff... (at least, that's what I think).
Seems, that today's CPUs are capable of doing full TS decoding without any
significant CPU load (for 68Mbit stream with 20 channels it is less than
5% 3GHz CPU). More, sw. decoder is not a small atomic thing, and can do
many additional things. If the PID filter is in the kernel in such case,
there is a chance, that we've get additional memcpy() etc.

> The (performance) difference between driver and software will be little, I
> expect.
More, we can miss CPU power and increase kernel size.