Re: Implementing support for multi-channel

> Ben Backx wrote:
> > Sorry, late reply, been busy with some other stuff.
> > Back to driver-development.
> >
> > The hardware supports multi-PID-filtering, so that's not the problem,
> the
> > only problem is: which functions have to be implemented in my driver?
> In
> > other words: is there an application that says to the driver: give me
> the
> > stream with that PID and which function is called to do that? I'm
> guessing
> > DMX_SET_PES_FILTER?
>
> I see.
> To be honest with you I don't know the difference between kernel level
> filter and hardware filter.
>
> The way I see it, but I think it might depend on the card as well, is
> that the driver in the kernel
> always receives the whole TS and then does a software filter which you
> can trigger via
> DMX_SET_PES_FILTER.
>
> I don't know anything about hardware filter.
> Someone else should maybe answer this question.

The hardware can handle it (up to a certain number of PID-filters). The main
difference: cpu-load. When the hardware handles the filtering, the cpu can
be busy with other stuff... (at least, that's what I think).
The (performance) difference between driver and software will be little, I
expect.

Regards,
Ben