HVR1300 non-MCE IR Transmitter

I apologize if this is not directly related to v4l development. But I
suspect people here know the answer to this question.

Does anyone know how to activate the IR transmitter (not receiver) that
is on the non-MCE version of the HVR-1300?  The firmware states that it
has an IR receiver and a transmitter. The receivers works flawlessly now.

I've loaded lirc_serial and tried ports 0x2f8 and 0x3f8. my debugging of
the kernel module indicates that data is being written to the UART (in
both cases) using the appropriate pulse function but the LED on the
transmitter never blinks (checked with a digital cam LCD).  I've tried
every type supported by the lirc_serial driver. no go.

I'm beginning to suspect that the transmitter does not behave as a
serial device and that something else needs to be done. is this correct?
if so, does anyone know what? There is precious little information about
the transmitting portion of the hvr1300 on the web. what do people use
to control their cable boxes?

Thanks,

Rajesh