HVR-1300 Audio Issues. Audio works but is way too loud

I've managed to smack down most of the other issues I had. But the last
issue with analog recording remains -- I can get audio but it is way too
loud.

I'm using the hvr-1300 hg branch with the PAL-BG audio fix (last patch).
My input is from my cable box into the composite in of the HVR-1300.

The video is fine but the audio is way too loud. It sounds like the
internal gain setting is set way too high. no audio control (alsamixer,
v4l2-ctl -c volume 1  etc.) seem to work. The volume never changes.

I have a sample of the audio at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rajesh/foo.wav

This was recorded using  arecord -D hw:1,0 -c 2 -r 48000 -f S16_LE -t
wav > foo.wav
I've replicated this same audio problem using mythtv's live tv function
and with mplayer (with the tv:// option)

I noticed that the audio is also finicky. I sometimes get silence or
static until I do v4l2-ctl -i 1. This is even with a proper video being
displayed.

Any suggestions for fixing this? for reference, cat /dev/video1 >
foo.mpg  has perfect audio synced with the video.

Rajesh