Re: Pinnacle PCTV 60e

Luke Mackenzie wrote:
> Thanks for the reply! I'll try that and post back to the list. Do you
> know if I also need to obtain firmware? Is that generally necessary? I
> thought firmware was embedded in the device itself but having read
> around the subject a bit, people seem  to be extracting firmware from
> windows drivers? Any light you can shed would be much appreciated, and
> thanks again for the reply.
>
> CityK wrote:
>> Luke Mackenzie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have not received a reply to this but notice a lot of activity on
>>> the list. Am I asking in the wrong place? Is anyone able to help?
>>
>> Right place. You just need to find someone who is interested in the
>> particular topic. That's not me btw, but I may be able to give you a
>> little push in the right direction:
>>
>> What is the relevant output of "lsusb -v" ... in particular, you are
>> interested in the subsystem ID of the device. The 200e evidently has
>> a subsystem ID of: 2304:020e ... so the question that remains is --
>> what it is for the 60e ?
>>
>> After you have determined such, try patching the file
>> "/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-ids.h" with that value ...
>> it should be pretty straight forward what to do (just look at all the
>> other entries). After that, rebuild the drivers and try it out.

Please don't top post Luke (rather, place responses below the former
discussion), nor drop the list from the discussion (i.e. use your email
clients 'reply all').

> Do you know if I also need to obtain firmware? Is that generally
> necessary?

I have no idea if it requires a firmware.  Quite possibly it does, as
many devices require such, but not all.   Try to make the edit to the
driver I suggested previously, and then see what is mentioned in the
output of dmesg --- it should give an indication as to whether the
driver expects a firmware (i.e you'll see messages in the log of failed
attempts to load a firmware)

> I thought firmware was embedded in the device itself

In some cases a firmware maybe embedded in the device itself as opposed
to requiring an upload.