Re: Pinnacle 800i driver problems

On Jan 24, 2008 5:18 AM, superhappyfunball <superhappyfunball@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chaogui Zhang wrote:
>
> > I assume you mean analog tv or analog input. The audio is via the
> > cx88-alsa module, which is working fine for me last time I tested. You
> > need to grab the sound from the appropriate /dev/dsp? device. Do a
> > "cat /proc/asound/cards" and it will tell you what number(the "?") to
> > use for your cx88-alsa device. Note that you might run into issues if
> > your cx88-alsa grabs the index 0 for your sound cards. In that case,
> > use module options to force the cx88-alsa to index 1 or 2 as needed.
> > Index 0 should be reserved for your main sound card so your normal
> > software can use /dev/dsp (which they always default to).
>
> Alrighty. Well, here goes:
>
> duo@lia-fail:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>   0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SB Live 5.1 [SB0220]
>                        SB Live 5.1 [SB0220] (rev.10, serial:0x100a1102)
> at 0xa000, irq 21
>   1 [UART           ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
>                        MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10
>   2 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
>                        Conexant CX8801 at 0xf3000000
>

> Now, I know that 0 is my main card, my Soundblaster 5.1 card. I have no
> clue what 1 could be. I have my motherboard sound disabled in the bios.
> 2 is obviously the 800i.

Yes, /dev/dsp2 should be the sound device to use for the 800i analog
audio stream given the above output.

> Im still on a learning curve here, so my next question is this:
>
> What specifically do I need to do here? I am not sure how I would load
> the module with the proper options.

You don't need other module options. You sound card is on index 0,
which is what we want already.

What you need to do is to record the sound stream from /dev/dsp2 for
your 800i. If you use tvtime, you can run the following command in one
terminal

"arecord -D hw:2,0 -f dat | aplay"

and keep it running. Then start tvtime as usual in another terminal,
you should be able to hear the audio now if everything goes smoothly.

For other applications such as mythtv, they probably have an option to
set up which sound device to use for audio capture, which again is
normally defaulted to /dev/dsp, you simply need to change that to
/dev/dsp2.

--
Chaogui Zhang