Re: Testing HVR1800

Barry Quiel wrote:
> Steven Toth wrote:
>> Barry Quiel wrote:
>>> I'm testing the HVR1800 driver (analog portion) out of
>>> hg/~stoth/cx23885-video and am getting the following error in the
>>> message log:
>>>
>>> kernel: cx25840' 4-0044: unable to open firmware v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw
>>>
>>> Which makes sense because I can't find that file anywhere on my
>>> system.   It also isn't included in truck or ~stoth/cx23885-video
>>> repositories.
>> http://steventoth.net/linux/hvr1800/
>>
>> - Steve
>

> So I've been trying to test the analog part of this card and its not
> going well.  That's not to say that the driver doesn't work, I'm sure
> its something I trying to do.  The DVB portion is working fine.  I'm
> trying to test using MythTV.
>
> First off the driver is creating 2 video devices in /dev.  I'm guessing
> that one of them is the analog card with MPEG2 encoder support and the
> other is just a the frame grabber.  When I select /dev/video1 ( I used
> ivtv_first_minor to move off the PVR500 /dev links ) in the MythTV setup
> it recognizes the card ( probes correctly ) and shows me what my inputs
> are to select from.  I chose Television ( vs s-video etc ).  When I
> attempt to watch LiveTV it just never starts.  Actually it does start,
> and then exits back to the menu.  The frontend doesn't see a recording
> file being generated.
>
> I can cat /dev/video1 to a file and get audio and video.  But the video
> is super dark.  I can barely make out any shapes.  But the audio is fine.

So I spoke a bit too soon. For whatever reason it started working in
Myth, although I still can't get a good cat /dev/video1.  BUt I can't
change the channel.  When I try and change the channel Mythfrontend
reports an error and the exits back to the menu.  When I go back into
livetv it is on the same original channel and there is no audio.  If I
exit out and go back in I get audio back, but still can;t change the
channel.