Re: TechniSat Air2PC-ATSC-USB devices

Michael Krufky wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, CityK wrote:
>
>> In discussion with Michael a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned that he
>> didn't think that the older TechniSat ATSC USB devices (
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB ) are
>> actually supported, but suggested you might know better.
>>
>> Could you, or anyone else, confirm the status.
>>

> On Nov 10, 2007 4:58 PM, Patrick Boettcher <patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about this device. Maybe it uses the bcm3510-demod
>> in this case it could work with the flexcop-driver. But also this means
>> that there is only USB1.1 support (useful bitrate less than 8MBit/s with
>> Airstar DVB-T).
>>

> I believe that this device was released around the same time as the
> AirStar 5000 (PCI), which used the LG-H064F NIM (LGDT3303 atsc/qam
> demod).  It's very likely that the same NIM is used in this device, in
> which case it would be equally as easy to add support.
>
> -Mike

[Charlie Brown mode on]
AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Good grief!
[Charlie Brown mode off]

Not having time, _nor real interest_, in recounting anything in long
form, here is a point form summary that lead to Charlie Brown mode above:

- Mike and I discuss the new HD5000-USB device on irc ... the thought is
that it is likely same as the pci version and that support could
probably be easily added
- People start obtaining the new HD5000-USB device, and submit info to
the wiki
[http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_AirStar-HD5000-USB ...
in particular, see the discussion page] and the mailing list (see the
Oct 07 achieves for several HD5000-USB posts)  regarding support for it
- Mike and I talk about the new HD5000-USB device on irc again, and I
point out that it is indeed the exact same as the pci device, albeit it
uses some usb bridge that neither of us were familiar with....both of us
had assumed that it would have been the cypress fx2
- Consequently, adding support for the device would not be a case of
"easy-1-2-3", and so will remain unsupported until someone is willing or
able to figure out the support for the usb bridge chip it employs.
- In a passing comment, Mike also notes to me that he didn't believe
that older Air2PC ATSC USB devices were actually supported ...  (they
are presently listed as supported in the wiki, in both the generalised
"ATSC USB Devices" page and their respective device article (linked to
above, inline  my message to Patrick)).  He suggested P.B might know
better about these devices.
- I finally got around to asking Patrick about the older devices
- Patrick eventually got back to me
- Mike (who has self professed on a number of occasions that he has a
memory like a sieve -- and, hence, if he sometimes forgets things, its
perfectly excusable) appears to have _inexcusably_ ignored the content
of the earlier message and shot from the hip, and injected erroneous
information (as seen above)