Re: DVB-S2 API vs. HVR4000: When?

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> > three weeks have passed since Steve expressed his
> > discomfort with the HVR4000 merge being blocked
> > waiting for multiproto.
>
> Before i state anything, Current DVB-S2 API status:
[snip]

Thanks, that's useful.

> > Can you give us a time frame for when the multiproto
> > merge will happen?
> >
> > Or, alternatively, can we split multiproto into
> > two repositories, one with API + dvb-core changes
> > and one (on top of it) with the STB0899 driver?
>
> It can be either way, which one of the following do you think is better in your view ?
>
> (1) DVB-S2 API partly merged now and the rest of the S2 API later.
> (2) Complete event list update and VCM and merge that also alongwith.
>
> in either case it can be with or without the STB0899 driver.
>
> What do you think ?

I'd prefer to address the remaining API issues first, however
what I primarily want to avoid is that Steve rewrites the
HVR4000 driver to a competing API proposal due to
frustration with the lack of progress.

IMHO there should be a clear path of actions for Steve
(or whoever else wants to help) to do that would allow merging
the HVR4000 driver. I.e. instead of having to wait for some
event beyond his control there should be a checklist, and
the merge can happen when all items are resolved.

Or something like that. Preferably Steve would comment
how he'd like to go forward.

Thanks,
Johannes