Re: ATI Theatre 650 card support?

Baha Baydar wrote:
> I'd be more than happy to help out with getting this card some working
> Linux drivers.

> On 10/14/07, CityK <CityK@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't think anyone is working on support -- there are three missing
>> pieces of documentation: that for the tuner in the Samsung module...
> Figures... I wonder if more support will be forthcoming with the
> release of the new batch of 650 based cards and USB devices.  (from an
> mythTV list posting:
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3124)

Baha,

Speaking of the tuner in the Samsung module and that anandtech "article"
(aka an ATI marketing piece), would you be able to check the Windows
.inf files for the prescence of Xceive.   While I was previously under
the impression that the tuner IC would be something else, I now have
suspicion that it is none other than the XC3028.

Explanation of Speculative Reasoning:

- Given the demod (ATI 31x) used by the 650 PCI card is 64/256-QAM
capable, and coupled with my thought that another tuner IC was being
utilised, I had always considered that the lack of QAM support under
Windows was artificial (as is a common case --- just take the ATI HDTV
Wonder for example; Linux drivers support QAM, Windows never did/will)

- Yet, the table in the Anandtech article shows that ATI is introducing
QAM support for some of the new TV 650/600 products, but is not enabling
it with the older 650 PCI  (or the new 600 USB stick)

- That got me thinking that the 650's prior lack of QAM support under
Windows, and the apparent indication that it will not be finally
realized in accompaniment with the newer TV Wonder devices (which will
sport QAM support under Windows), may very well be explained be another
reason --- specifically, if the XC3028 is the actual tuner IC in the
Samsung Module.

- further proof to this possibility is that Xceive has, amongst others,
reference designs for both the XC3028 & ATI 31x  and the newer XC5000 &
ATI 31x.

In conclusion, I suspect we will find that the:

- 650 PCI is XC3208 based
- 650 Combo (both PCIe and USB versions) is XC5000 based

- 600 USB is XC3028 based
- 600 (both PCI and PCIe versions) is  XC5000 based

Cheers