Re: About fixes into Mantis branch. Was: Asus Tiger can't find any channels

Hi Manu.

So here are my problems:

One problem still is that I haven't been
able to compile your branch lately. After a rather big effort,
I have given up, because I don't know that how long (days?) I have to
tweak it to make it compile for me.
So that's why it is currently hard to make and test patches for you.

I am able to compile the head linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb branch though.
It doesn't compile out of the box either, but for me it is good to know
the main version better. I have learned to disable some broken modules
via v4l/version.txt and do some other small tweaks. It compiles for me
with a rather small effort.

I developed Suspend/Resume last summer. I wanted to use as recent
kernel as possible. I used for that the latest Fedora 7 kernel.
So, I wanted to develop with that kernel and not to take some
obsolete compiled-by-hand-kernel. That forced me to use
linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb and the latest stock Fedora 7 kernel,
because otherwise my efforts might have been less robust.
Thus I had to take the latest jusst.de Mantis version
and convert unrelated files to match with linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb.

So the suspend/resume patches keep me in a recent kernel and recent v4l-dvb.
If I leave them out, I could have use for a jusst.de Mantis branch that I
am able to compile and test. Thus I could make patches for you.

One person asked me, that how he can make his Twinhan DVB-C 2033 work.
I sent him information and a patch with my changes against jusst.de
(just my changes, no compilation fixes). After that, we figured out
hacks so that he could
overcome the compilation problems. I concluded, that I was too rude for
him,
because my version compiled without problems and with jusst.de he would
have maybe a week project to make it compile: 1. He reports a compilation
problem. 2. I spend one evening to overcome it for him. 3. He reports
another compilation problem. 4. I spend one evening to overcome the
compilation problem and to make him more motivated. I concluded that I
had to simply
give my working version, because it compiles easilly and works.

Now my version has also remote control support from Kristian Slavov.
I wanted him to send his patch into this email list, so that you Manu
could also include his work into your branch.

Suspend/Resume is partial work again, because the core kernel
Suspend/Resume has changed on Fedora 7 in last three months, after the
last Summer.
Maybe some thread must be flagged with "you can freeze me". I'll look at
it some day,
maybe next Summer.

So maybe it is better for me to just keep my version of Mantis near head
linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb and to keep it working.
If it's usable for someone else, I can give it him too as I do now.
Of course it's good to incorporate your changes into mine too.
Of course, If you want to see my version, or take something from there,
I can send you a full source.

I use Eclipse for comparing and merging entire v4l-dvb variant trees.

Best Regards,
Marko