Re: Future of Multiproto

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> > Does that mean that Manu has no intentions to get
> > his multiproto API changes merged?
>
> It will be merged

When? Why hasn't it been merged months ago when HVR4000 worked?

> > (If so, then wtf was the point of doing them and keep
> > everyone waiting? But I guess the "DVB API update" thread
> > meant he isn't happy with it anymore.))
>
> As i wrote, there are more things in the S2 specification, also
> currently stuff like proper statistics cannot be done for example

As I tried to tell you in one of my replies in the "DVB API update"
thread statistics is totally independent of DVB-S2. And the
"more things" were not spelled out in detail by you -- and
why don't you just fix the API if you know something is missing,
instead of saying "something's missing, can't merge yet"?

I just can't understand why you were dragging this out so long,
usually I would expect the desire of any developer is to get
the code merged ASAP. With a working HVR4000 driver you could've
got the API and dvb-core changes merged months ago -- which would've
allowed you to merge the STB0899 driver in CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
status to expose it to a wider audience if you'd wanted to.

Instead you seem to have the desire to work on your private branch
forever, adding patch upon patch to make it as big and important
as possible. Any not caring at all that you block Steve's work
as a consequence.

I asked you for your plans in this thread but I didn't get an answer.

Anyway, I don't know what has been said on irc and I can't
be bothered to read the irc logs. I really don't care if the DVB-S2
API is done one way or the other, if you can't cooperate with Steve
then you have to compete with him. IMHO the first one to have a fully
working API + driver ready for merging wins. That's what I vote for.

The requirements to make it mergable are still the same
as in Nov. 2005 when the DVB-S2 API was discussed first:
- don't break backwards compat
- add complete support for all DVB-S2 features, or at least
  allow missing features be added later in a backwards compatible way
- don't be completely ugly (like the Reelbox hack)
- don't repeat past mistakes and design it to allow easier backwards
  compatible extensions in the future (like e.g. for DVB-H)

Johannes