Re: DiB0700 firmware - next try

On 9/22/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/22/07, David Harvey <dcharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thanks Soeren,
> >
> > I'm just working out how I can free up my single epia pci slot (currently
> > running my sata card) so I can persue the pci dvb solution...  Is there
> > anything recommended with solid support? (as I mistakenly thought nova-t in
> > all its incarnations worked so don't want to make the same mistake twice!)
> > I've been messing about with my freecom and nova-t usb sticks for so long
> > now
> > that I can't wait to stop tinkering (which is something I thought I'd never
> > say! :) )
> >

> If you're looking for a stable hardware usb solution I can say that
> solutions from Empiatech just work fine in most cases :-)
> (the exceptions will be cleared up within the next few months)
>
> http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php/Em2880
>
> mailinglist:
> http://mcentral.de/pipermail/em28xx/
>
> (just avoid to buy the devices which are in question there, although
> _all_ empia devices will experience a great improvement in future)
> Beside just writing about that. Empia has customers who are interested
> in Linux support and Empia itself is interested in getting those
> customers satisfied.

I have to warn you, however, that the Linux driver for these devices
hasn't been merged into the kernel and it's far from clear that it
ever will be. (All the usual caveats of a non-merged driver apply -
you have to recompile it manually every time you upgrade your kernel,
you're reliant on the driver author to update it every time the kernel
API changes, etc.)

The driver (mostly) works, though, and the hardware seems to be decent
(I'm quite happy with mine, even though it sometimes requires some
fiddling to get it working again after rebooting or starting up the
system).The one thing the driver doesn't support is
VBI/teletext/closed captions on analog TV.

Aidan