Re: DVB API update

On 9/18/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/18/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Markus Rechberger wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > Why don't abstract the dvb layer from enduser applications and put a
> > > general library infront which does that version check and tries to
> > > keep things consistend to the end applications?
> >
> > It is a nice idea, yes.
> >
> > Two things, looking at
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps/file/4bca5d49c9bd/lib/libdvbapi/dvbfe.c
> >
> > * This idea of using multiple API 's was thought (It is effective , yes)
> > You can use multiple API's in there
> >
> > * The down side is that user applications need to use this library
> >
> > Someone could ask, why the hell should we use your library. Well, that
> > causes the headaches.
> >

> people who use alsa also use the provided alsa API, it makes alot sense
> to stop applications to directly access those nodes. libdvbapi seems to be
> the right way to start over with.

I'm not sure ALSA is a good example - it's always felt a bit hairy to
me. Part of the reason that people have to use alsalib is that
important bits are in userland, and they tend to break in interesting
ways.

For example, I found that if a program using ALSA launches another
program without closing the file descriptors correctly, sound playback
breaks when the first program exits due to the odd way software mixing
is done. There's various other annoying and non-intuitive ways that
software mixing can break too.

(I also get the impression that ALSA uses the library as an excuse to
break kernel-userspace ABI compatibility, to the annoyance of distro
maintainers. I can certainly recall several complaints about it on
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò's blog back when he maintained ALSA on
Gentoo.)

Besides, it's a bit late to try and do this now...

Aidan