Re: DVB API update

On 9/18/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Markus Rechberger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > Why don't abstract the dvb layer from enduser applications and put a
> > general library infront which does that version check and tries to
> > keep things consistend to the end applications?
>
> It is a nice idea, yes.
>
> Two things, looking at
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps/file/4bca5d49c9bd/lib/libdvbapi/dvbfe.c
>
> * This idea of using multiple API 's was thought (It is effective , yes)
> You can use multiple API's in there
>
> * The down side is that user applications need to use this library
>
> Someone could ask, why the hell should we use your library. Well, that
> causes the headaches.

people who use alsa also use the provided alsa API, it makes alot sense
to stop applications to directly access those nodes. libdvbapi seems to be
the right way to start over with.

> > The enduser applications would have to implement that API one time but
> > it would help to keep unnecessary changes away from those applications
> > and even allow to clean up things lateron without breaking all the
> > applications... it's just a thought though..
>
> Yes, that's how it would work in the ideal case, i doubt whether we can
> force applications to use the library.

I would spend some time to implement such a library in enduser applications.
Although first I need to get my devices work and into the kernel and fix some
nasty bugs in my driver...

Markus