Re: DVB API update

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 01:41:04 Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

>>> A demux doesn't decode, and what matters is memory bandwidth.
>> Try running a software decoder alongwith and tell me that that
>> decoding doesn't need CPU
>
> right the software decoder needs cpu power.
>
>> and then the options what you can look at
>> is cutting whatever overheads it is.
>
> Wrong, you would start optimizing parts with take significant time. I
> can record 20mbps streams on a machine capable of decoding H264 1080p
> video with more than 99 percent idle. So even if you can optimize
> capturing the stream to taking zero cpu cycles (and you can't) you will
> see at most 1% increase in decoding speed.

The case of a 20Mbps stream getting recorded is not a great thing. when
you have a TS with symbol rate 27.5Msps, (capturing the complete TS) the
normal TS itself is about 27Mbps (in a very crude rounded off case)

So, the situation that you have isn't larger than a situation having a
normal single DVB-S card.