Re: Port of em28xx and xc3028 to new hybrid tuner framework.

On 9/7/07, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aidan Thornton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the hope of having a driver that fits better with the v4l-dvb trunk
> > than the currently available options, I've ported the analog parts of
> > Markus Rechberger's em28xx and xc3028 drivers to the new hybrid tuner
> > framework. (The analog bits are similar enough to his framework that
> > this was fairly easy.) It hasn't been tested with anything other than
> > the analog TV in on my HVR-900 (USB ID 2040:6500), so YMMV. The
> > repository is at http://www.makomk.com/hg/v4l-dvb-makomk for anyone
> > feeling brave.
> >
> > Digital is not supported as yet - I haven't even tried to get
> > em2880_dvb working, and the xc3028 support is probably broken. (I'm
> > unsure how to get the bandwidth setting in xc3028 and how to tell if
> > the client wants DVB-T, ATSC or something else.)
> >
> > Any suggestions and comments are welcome.
>
> Please take a look at the xc3028-fe.c file in the following patch:
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/xc-bluebird.patch
>
> You can use the logic used in that patch to determine ATSC / DVB-T / etc
>
> ...we might want to change this after multiproto is merged (if that happens
> anytime soon), because better options may be available at that point.
>
> I was thinking of redoing that xc3028-fe module to include analog support
> soon, but if you're going to to work on it instead, it makes life easier for
> me :-)

I acknowlidge what you're doing there although the driver itself will
use the userland drivers even for upcoming versions which use
different i2c clientchips as the em28xx does at the moment.
All the upcoming drivers will be opensourced, just to avoid any doubts.

This also has to be concerned about backward compatibility:
http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php/Bugtracker#i2c_dev_problem

this is also a problem about the "inkernel" hybrid design, the em28xx
uses the userland implementation since the current xceive reference
drivers use floating point algorithms. Since those reference drivers
also include sample board configurations for different boards I'll
moreover use these ones and work on other things instead of
reinventing the wheel.

Markus