Re: KNC1 SNR goes/went bad

On 08/13/2007 10:31 PM, Manu Abraham wrote:

>>> I understood your problem.

>>> During rain, don't expect anything much with DVB-S
>> With just a little normal rain, DVB-S should work fine. Only when
>> there's hard rain and it's seriously cloudy you could expect the picture
>> to actually fail with a properly set up dish. Overall DVB-S is very
>> reliable. DVB-S is also used as a feed for many cable channels in The
>> Netherlands, and they hardly ever fail.
>>

> By rain i meant, by the rain we have here, we don't receive any DVB-S.
> Don't know how many cms of rain ..

I don't know where you live. In The Netherlands, with a 64cm dish (which
I have), only in heavy storm the signal isn't strong enough. Occasional
rain is no problem here.

>>> Though i am not saying it is bad, devices designed improperly leads to
>>> bad results. However good the components are. We have examples, but
>>> not stating that is the case here, but a possibility.
>> Yes, that's true.

>>> If this is an overall problem that you see, then it has nothing to do
>>> with the drivers. I thought in your case, the driver was misbehaving
>> It's not an overall problem, I only have this problem with the KNC1 card.
>

> Maybe it is a hardware specific problem, 2 options again
>
> * The card type as a whole is bad
> * The specific mentioned card has a hardware problem.

Both are possibilities, I have no idea.

>>> The TT card you have behaves similarly ?
>> The TT card performs fine, I still have to test it in somewhat harder
>> rain, but the fact it shows ZDF perfectly without even BER is a huge
>> difference.
>>
>> I also have a Vantage standalone receiver. I did test that one in rain,
>> and ZDF would just keep going.
>>

> Ok, so your dish/LNB setup is fine, then.

>>> Maybe it has something to do with your dish alignment, LNB alignment
>>> etc ? A LNB skew can cause a lot of errors to happen, eventhough the
>>> dish is aligned correctly.
>>>
>> Trust me, I know stuff about alignment. I have re-aligned the dish 5 or
>> 6 or more times and _every_ time the result did not fully satisfy me. I
>> changed the height of the dish, how deep the LNB was into the holder,
>> the skew, tried moving the LNB holder up and down (possible on my dish),
>> I tried everything. Even swapped the LNB's, but that made no difference
>> either. The last couple of times, I took my laptop up on the roof so I
>> could VNC to my desktop and see the signal/BER instead of using the
>> cheap satbeeper. Then I swapped the card for the Technotrend, and
>> checked the status... Heeeeey... No signal trouble?
>

> Ok. Cool down

Sorry, I've been pretty frustrated with the dish myself. It's hard to
get on the roof here (usually have to wait a couple of weeks every time
for dry weather that lasts so the roof isn't slippery wet anymore), and
every time the KNC1 gave a bad signal I got back up on the roof and
tried to align it better. Now that I've figured out the KNC1 will maybe
never give a good signal, at least not with the current drivers if
that's the problem, I'm a bit frustrated.. All that time on the roof was
wasted. So yes I'm a bit frustrated about that, I shouldn't project it
on you..