Re: TT S2-3200 stable, CI, go or no-go?

On 8/12/07, P. van Gaans <w3ird_n3rd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know there have been some posts about the card - but I didn't see the
> questions asked I have.
>
> [story you can skip]
> The problem is this: currently I have a KNC1 DVB-S card + cineview CI.
> But it's breaking down, SNR appears to get worse by the day. Bad luck :'(

Can you please get your hardware details of this card you mention ?
Like which tuner, which PLL, which demod etc. The more detailed, the
better.

> I also have a TT S-1500 with budget CI. I would use that, but the CI
> doesn't work for no reason! Bad luck again :'(

AFAIK, There is an experimental patch floating around which "seems to"
fix this issue.
Please test the patch and get back whether it fixes. you can search in
the archives for the  S 1500 thread. Some people have reported
success. But that is just not enough to pull it in, since applying
that, could probably break others -- We need more testers, who get
back with valid results.

> I've got a Phoenix reader, I know someone will be going to suggest that
> - so I would put my smartcard in that - the Phoenix is OK, but it
> refuses to init the satellite smartcard (another smartcard for cable did
> work but that's worthless for me!) - how much bad luck can I have?
> [/story you can skip]
>
> So I have to buy a new card, and I feel it would be a waste to buy
> another DVB-S1 card nowadays. S2 cards are not really expensive anymore.
>
> So I would be perfectly happy with a TT S2-3200 that only works on
> DVB-S1 (stable!) for the moment and with a working CI. I can perfectly
> live with DVB-S2 support in the drivers being added at a later stage.

I guess by here, you would be pretty frustrated. Hardware
configuration as days pass by gets more and more complicated, not
simpler. Gone are the days of the simple hardware.

Users need to have some amount of patience. The developers do this
mostly out of their free time. It is not that very simple to get
devices working properly. Users pressurizing the developers to release
early, brings in those half baked drivers, so a certain percentage of
the attributes go to the users as well.

It is not easy, when a user comes with a patch for something stating,
well this fixes issue "x" whereas in reality the patch has got nothing
to do with "x".

Moreover we have had just high noise levels alone rather than useful
talks, which hasd additional attributes for developments to crawl.

> I have the feeling the answer is going to be "no", but I want to ask
> anyway.. Could I expect this from the S2-3200 at this stage, or really
> soon (weeks I mean)?
>
> And when will S2-3200 support be added to hg?

Most probably, if all goes well sometime next month.

Manu